Dental Exam & Teeth Cleaning in Austin, TX
The American Dental Association recommends that you visit your dentist every six months to get your teeth examined and professionally cleaned.
If you have a proper at-home dental hygiene routine, and don’t have a history of gum disease, tooth decay, and other dental problems, your dentist may increase the interval to more than six months. Conversely, if you’re at higher risk of gum and dental problems, you may need to visit your dentist more than two times a year.
Importance of Professional Teeth Cleaning
No matter how diligently you brush and floss your teeth at home, you cannot get rid of all the plaque and bacteria in your mouth. Eventually, the plaque builds up to form tartar that cannot be removed by brushing. Professional teeth cleaning involves the use of special instruments to scrape off any plaque and tartar on the surface of your teeth and under the gum line. This reduces the risk of cavities and gum disease.
What to Expect From a Regular Oral Examination
An oral exam is performed by a dental professional to assess your oral health. A typical exam includes:
- Checking for signs of tooth decay. Decay can happen at any age and stage of your life, though pregnant women are at greater risk
- Checking whether you need any restorative procedures such as fillings, crowns, or root canal therapy. An X-ray may be ordered to determine the severity of tooth damage
- Assessing the health of your gums and other oral tissues
- Cancer screening by checking your neck and oral tissues for growths, lumps, recurring sore spots, masses, and white patches
- Checking for signs of other conditions. Studies suggest that there’s a relationship between your oral and general health. For instance, signs of diabetes, heart disease, hormonal irregularities, and nutritional deficiencies can be detected by examining your mouth
Make sure that you inform your dentist of your current health status, including any illnesses, medical conditions, or allergies that have affected you since your last visit, as well as any medications you’re currently taking.
Request an Appointment for a Dental Exam & Teeth Cleaning(512) 441-2098
Schedule a Dental Exam at Park Dental in Austin
A typical dental visit involves a dental exam and professional teeth cleaning, though other factors may influence the process, such as:
- Whether you’re a new or returning patient
- How long it has been since your last appointment
- Whether you’re returning to have a specific dental problem checked
Visiting your dentist as recommended can help to prevent and/or detect problems in their early stages, which will save your teeth and time and money needed for treating advanced dental and gum problems. Moreover, regular dental visits can help to maintain your beautiful smile, so you can continue to smile with confidence. Contact us online or call (512) 441-2098 to schedule an appointment.